Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Thursday, December 07, 2006

DESIRES FROM HIS DELIGHTS

December 6

DESIRES FROM HIS DELIGHTS

Psalms 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Let’s use this scripture as a touchstone to our spirit. Do we really believe from the bottom of our heart that if we delight ourselves in Him, He will give us what we want? Can we say that we actually have experienced that we can count on God to honor the desires of our heart? Or do we rather feel that perhaps, God is hard-hearted, insensitive, and deaf; that it is difficult to get the things from Him that we desire? Do we feel that most of the time He, out of spite or narrow-mindedness, refuses to give us the things that we want, even the things that we need, even when we earnestly and sincerely pray for them?

There is no problem with God not holding to His Word of promise to care for us and supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19; Matthew 7:7); Jesus promised us ‘abundant’ life.(John 10:10). The problem must therefore originate from the things we “delight” in.  

The promise to be given the desires of your heart is conditional to delighting ourselves in the Lord. If you feel that God is not honoring your desires, could it be that maybe these desires are not in line with delighting ourselves in the Lord?

Or maybe He is giving us the desires of our heart that are even unknown to us, as is beautifully expressed in this poem:

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve,      
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey...
     I asked for health, that I might do greater things,
     I was given infirmity, that I might do better things...
     I asked for riches, that I might be happy,
     I was given poverty that I might be wise...
     I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,
     I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God...
     I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,
     I was given life, that I might enjoy all things...
     I got nothing that I asked for--but everything I had hoped for,
     Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
     I am among all men most richly blessed.
                                   Author unknown

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.


No comments: