Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Monday, October 29, 2007

THE SENIOR-PARTNER

Proverbs 3:17-18 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. (18) She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

CONTEXTUAL NOTE: For details about who is ‘Her’ in this text, refer to the second paragraph of the devotional on Proverbs 3: 15-16.

Jesus said that there is rest in His presence. He said to people while on earth ‘My yoke is easy and My burden is light’.

I was talking with a young lady about her mother tonight. The concerned daughter was telling me all the reasons why her mother couldn’t cope in her spiritual and emotional life. As I listened, it seemed to me that nothing was happening in the life of this faithful mother that was exceptional. This lady was experiencing all the stressful situations that any mother her age would experience. The difference was mainly how she handled it.

We have the promise that Jesus’ ways are ways of pleasantness; that His paths are paths of peace; that we are happy of we hold on to Him. I would be the first to admit that just because we have Jesus as Lord, Master and Savior, our life flows like a song; each day has its own set of challenges that we need to face. Does God’s Word lie then? Is He lying to us in presenting us with hopes of an idyllic happiness?

I do not mean to be cold hearted, but as far as the Word is concerned, if the promise is there, so is the fulfillment. What I have told this young lady is that if her mother doesn’t find that peace that is promised to her, it’s not God’s fault; maybe she is not availing herself of the option.

Sometimes we rob ourselves from the peace Jesus wants to give us by fighting against Him and what He does in our lives. What we need to rather do, is partner up with Him as the ‘senior-partner’ of our earth walk. When we surrender ourselves to Him, things seem to change drastically. After all, He has the wider perspective. How is it this little song: My Lord knows the way through the wilderness; all I have to do is follow”?

No comments: