Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

THE FOOD THAT SATISFIES

Psalms 103:5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

There is a difference between being satiated and being satisfied. One can be satiated without being satisfied. The elements of the world fill us up with junk food, but only the LORD satisfies our soul with good things.

It is easy to understand the difference between junk food that just fills and the healthy food that satisfies. After many hours of hard physical work, my energy level is low; I need food to sustain me. I stop working and I eat a healthy meal of protein, carbohydrates and fiber. I might even contribute to healthy digestion with a catnap. After eating healthy food and resting, my body is strengthened, I feel renewed, and I can work again. But if instead I fill myself with high sugar junk food that seem to cut the hunger but do not really fill me with the nutrients that I need, even though I eat, I do not really restore my body. After a while of such lifestyle, my body is negatively affected, I might even become sick.

On the contrary, when the LORD feeds us, we are truly filled. When we feed on His healthy diet, we become truly satisfied. The dainties of the world do not tempt us; they lose their tempting power over us; they mean nothing to us because our heart is truly full. It is the same as with a husband who is well cared for by his wife will be less tempted to look elsewhere for satisfaction. At a youth outreach, my wife was asked why she didn’t do marijuana; she answered, “Because it brings me down,” she said, “with the Spirit of the Lord, I’m already high.”

When we are satisfied with the things of the LORD, we don’t grope in darkness and confusion; we have a clear vision, understanding, and perspective of the positive, and of the negative elements of his life. Things may sadden us at times, but depression has no grip on us. How could one walk in the Light and not see his way? (Psalms 25:12-14)

It is important that we be honest with ourselves. Let us diagnose our spiritual health by asking our souls the questions that matter. Let us ask, like King David, Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted in me? (Psalms 42:5) It is normal for the one who does not partake of heavenly food to be hungry, but does it make sense that one who claims to partake of the Father’s table still be confused, in the dark, and hungry for the junk food of the world?

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

No comments: