Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

KNOW NOTHING BUT HIM

Psalms 27:11-12 Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies. (12) Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.

A good teacher friend of mine often challenges her students with the question, “Are you teachable?”

Each day, we need to ask ourselves that same question. Am I teachable? Is it easy for the LORD to lead and guide me? Am I a ‘problem student’ to Him? Would I love to have me as a student?

The problem that I think the LORD faces in teaching us is that He leads us in a “plain path”. Our flesh, our carnal mind, likes to pride itself in the complicated, the smart, the gaudy; but the path of the LORD is usually plain, simple, self-effacing; even humble by its low simplicity.

God’s greatest military heroes were asked to do some of the most ridiculous things, but when they obeyed, they won His battles. Who ever heard of winning a war when outnumbered one to a thousand, by breaking pots, hiding torches, and blowing trumpets and screaming your head off in the middle of the night? But that’s just what Gideon did (Judges 7:20). And who would have been crazy enough to obey God when He said that in order to conquer one of the most impregnable cities of their day, they should walk around it seven times with the Ark of the Covenant, and again, blow their trumpets and scream their heads off? And yet, that’ s just what Joshua did (Joshua 6:20).

The apostle Paul was one of the smartest men alive in the first century C.E. It would be easy to conclude that his success in winning the intellectual and wisdom hungry Greeks was the fruits of his personal intellectual prowess, but to make sure that God and God alone would get the glory, he determined to put his carnal wisdom aside in favor of projecting the simple power of the Holy Spirit. He said, For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified 1Corinthians 2:2.

So it is, that when we allow God to lead us in His “plain path”, He delivers us from our enemies, helps us win the victories, and the testimony of false witnesses cannot even touch our soul.

1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

No comments: