Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Saturday, May 05, 2007

LIFE IS IN HIS WORDS

May 5

Psalms 119:144 The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live.

Knowing the Word of God, I must read it; reading the Word of God, I must understand it, for then, “I shall live”.

The Bible is not a book of ‘do’s’ and ‘don’ts’; neither is it a book of doctrines. It is a book outlining spiritual principles for us to discover. The discovering of them by the means of understanding gives life. Sometimes, we study a passage. All of a sudden, it becomes clear; it opens a whole new avenue of principles never understood before which open a deeper understanding of the Word. The rush, the happiness, the ‘goose-bumps’ of that moment, is the Spirit of life feeding our soul.

The Bible is not a book too deep for us to understand. It can be understood with the pure and simple innocent logic of a child. The helpful elements necessary to help us grasp the fullness of its principles are a good knowledge of its culture, language and history.

In the Bible, God seems to teach us through opposites. Proverbs 26, verse 4 advises us, Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him, while the next verse instructs us saying, Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. Obviously, the Word is not here to give us legalistic guidelines as whether to “answer a fool” or not, but rather that there are times when we should, and times when we shouldn’t. The Word also tells us the reasons why; it says, A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver (Proverbs 25:11).

Oh Lord, help us do justice to your Word by letting it feed our heart, our soul. Help us not to analyze it with our carnal mind, but help us to understand it by the means of your spirit, the Holy Spirit which you have said will lead us into all truth (John 16:3).

John 6:53-63 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. (54) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. (55) For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. (56) He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. (57) As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. (58) This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever. (59) These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum. (60) Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? (61) When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? (62) What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? (63) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

No comments: