Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

OBEDIENCE BECAUSE OF LOVE

February 6

Psalms 119:47-48 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved. (48) My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

At a time when there were so many commandments to obey; at a time when religion was based on a cold legalistic and ritualistic blind application of rules; when to obey the commandments was “yoke” (Acts 15:10); even at that time David delighted in God’s commandments. He proclaimed to love meditating upon them.

Today, the heavy yoke of legalism in the commandment is lifted. Yet, in this day of voluntary obedience we follow Him reluctantly. It should make us ashamed of ourselves.

David followed God joyfully for something he was hoping to get. We follow Him for something we’ve already received when we gave our hearts to the Lord. We should therefore obey in a spirit of extreme gratitude and thanks, putting our heart unto His commandment out of love.

Here are some questions we can ask of ourselves:
Do I follow Him out of love or out of duty?
What is His commandment for me today?
In what way does He want me to be of service for Him today?
Can I say, ‘yea’ and ‘amen’ without reservations to the answers of these questions?

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

No comments: