Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Friday, January 05, 2007

BREAD THAT LOOKS LIKE A ROCK

January 5

BREAD THAT LOOKS LIKE A ROCK

Psalms 119:7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.

Do we know what to praise the Lord for? Do we know what to thank Him for? Jesus wondered if we sometimes might mistake the bread He provides us for a stone, and that the fish He may give us for a serpent (Luke 11:11-13).

Now, what about that recurring problem we often struggle with? What about these annoying issues in our lives that are not working out? This disease that is not going away, this or that weakness, which makes us desperately cling to the grace of God (2 Corinthians 12:7-9). Could these be the bread and fish Jesus promised? Bread and fish we can’t see because of partial blindness, because we look at them with the eyes of flesh instead of with the eyes of the spirit?

George Matheson, the well-known blind preacher of Scotland, now with the Lord, said: "My God, I have never thanked Thee for my `thorn'! I have thanked Thee a thousand times for my roses, but never once for my `thorn'; I have been looking forward to a world where I shall get compensation for my cross as itself a present glory. Teach me the glory of my cross; teach me the value of my `thorn'. Show me that I have climbed to Thee by the path of pain. Show me that my tears have made my rainbow."

When we apply ourselves to learn the righteous judgments of God; when we learn what He considers to be the right and blessed events in our life; when we finally come to the point where we give up the controls and trust Him for what He gives or withholds; when we learn to totally yield our lies and sprit to Him, then, oh yes then, the bread and fish that He gives us are revealed to us in all their heavenly glory, even through disguised in rocks and serpents; then we are able to praise Him for His many blessings.

1Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

No comments: