Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Monday, July 10, 2006

Daily Devotion

July 10, 2006

Psalms 103:5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

There is a difference between being satiated and being satisfied. One can be satiated without being satisfied. The things of the world fill us up with spiritual junk food, but only the LORD satisfies our soul with “good things.”

It is easy to make the difference between junk food that just fills and the healthy food that satisfies. After many hours of hard work, my energy level is low; I need food to sustain me. I stop working and I eat a healthy meal of protein, carbohydrates and fiber. I might even contribute to healthy digestion with a catnap. After eating healthy food and resting, my body is strengthened, I feel renewed, and I can work again. But if I instead filled myself with junk food, even though I rest, I will still feel weak and tired and not able to resume my work. After a while of such a habit, I begin to wonder if I am sick and need to see doctor.

My friend, when the LORD feeds us, we are filled with “good things.” One who is daily nurtured by the Word of the LORD is satisfied. The dainties of the world do not tempt him; they have lost their tempting power over him; they mean nothing to him because his heart is truly full. Just the same, a husband who is well cared for by his wife will generally not be tempted to look ‘elsewhere’ for satisfaction. When asked by a hippie why she doesn’t do marijuana my wife answered, “Because it brings me down,” she said, “with the Spirit of the Lord, I’m already high.”

One who is satisfied with the things of the LORD, doesn’t grope in darkness and confusion; he has a clear vision, understanding, and perspective of the positive, and of the negative elements of his life. Things may sadden him at times, but depression has no grip on him. How could one walk in the Light and not see his way? (Psa 25:12-14)

It is important that we be honest with ourselves. Let us ask our souls the questions that matter so we can truly diagnose our spiritual health. Let us ask, like King David, “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me?” (Psa 42:5) It is normal for the one who does not partake of heavenly food to be hungry, but there is an inconsistency when the Child of God who claims to regularly eat at the Father’s table is still hungry, confused and in the dark; and still hungry for the junk-food of the world.

Psa 34:10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing.

Patrick Lumbroso
For past issues of the daily devotion go to my blog at:
htt\p://hearthstoneministries.blogspot.com/

No comments: