Pages


'Be strong, be strong and be strengthened!'

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Daily Devotion

June 22, 2006

Psalms 40:7-8 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,  (8)  I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

NOTE: The context of these 2 verses is imbedded in verse 6 when David, a foreshadow of Jesus, proclaims that God did not desire sacrifices nor did He require burnt offerings.

We sometimes complicate the works.  If I were to learn about the human body, I would pick up a book on biology.  If I were to learn French, I would use a book to teach me that language, and speak to people who would be able to coach me in its pronunciation and grammar.  

If I want to learn about God, let me use the Book of God.  Let me use the book that is written by Him; let me read it plainly with no need of an interpreter.  The book of God from the beginning to the end shows the heart of God.  It tells us that God does not desire sacrifices.  Maybe only at the early stage of learning, at the infancy of the faith does God require of us these shadows of the truth, skits and illustrations, such as rituals, blood sacrifices and burnt offerings.  But as we grow, what God wants from us is plainly written in the Book--He wants us to delight to do His will; He wants His Law written in our heart.  

Oh, it is so easy to replace living faith with religion; it is so easy to settle for works instead of letting grace do its perfect work in our heart. It is so easy to settle for justice, a form of godliness, but all the while, “denying the power thereof” (2 Tim 3:5).

Lord Jesus, write your Law in my heart so that I would follow You out of love and gratitude, and not out of forced duty.

Jeremiah 31:31-33  Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:  (32)  Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:  (33)  But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Patrick Lumbroso
For past issues of the daily devotion go to my blog at:
http://hearthstoneministries.blogspot.com/

No comments: